Pre-Major Admissions: Entrance Portfolio
The Industrial Design program at Western Washington University requires an Entrance Portfolio submission in order to declare as a Pre-major in Industrial Design. This initial screening process helps to determine a candidate's potential for success within the program. Applicants must first be accepted by the university. In order to maintain academic program quality in relation to faculty, staff and facilities, the program limits the number of applicants admitted. The school reserves the right to be the sole judge of who shall be accepted into the program.
Portfolios will be reviewed by an Industrial Design committee three times per year; once per quarter. Students should submit their portfolio the quarter before they hope to start at WWU. For example, for incoming Freshman their first opportunity to apply will be during spring quarter or the April deadline of their senior year in high school.
Requirements and Format
An Entrance Portfolio is a collection of an applicant's best creative work, revealing the applicant's creative skills and presented as professionally as possible. Applicants are encouraged to include work from as many of the following areas as possible:
- Sketching (examples of hand-drawn sketches that express ideas, and creative problem solving, show a variety of concepts, or demonstrate an ability to draw)
- 2D design (examples of page layout, composition, color, etc. as demonstrated in an illustration, advertisement, website, painting, photography, or other 2-dimensional work)
- 3D design (examples of form development, construction, and craftsmanship as demonstrated in a 3-dimensional piece such as a model, sculpture, structure, woodworking, clothing, jewelry, etc.)
- Computer skills (examples of drawing/image editing software programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or equivalent. Or examples of computer-aided drafting [CAD], Solidworks, Rhinoceros, SketchUp, Blender, etc.)
Do not include imitations of photographs or other artist's work. Do not include any work that would be considered copyright infringement.
- A maximum of twelve original pieces (or 18 total pages) are allowed. A piece may be allotted more than one page. The file must be a PDF with the applicant's last name at the start of the file name, such as "MorrisIDportfolio.pdf". This PDF must be less than 25 MB in size. Video, animation or other time-based materials may be sent on a flash drive or a linked web address.
- Each piece is to be clearly marked with the applicant's name, title of the project, medium (or software/materials) used, size, date of completion, and the story behind the piece. In the case of professional or group projects, applicants should indicate their personal contributions/responsibilities.
- Portfolios may be emailed or hand delivered on a flash drive to the Engineering & Design Administrative office (ET 204). Please include current contact info (email, telephone and address) on the application so that we can contact you regarding your status.
- Download and complete the application and include in your portfolio PDF. ID application
If applicants do not qualify for acceptance one quarter, they may reapply for a following quarter after improving the content of their portfolio.
Send Portfolio and Application to:
Examples of Accepted Entrance Portfolio submissions
Accepted Entrance Portfolios, Fall 2016 and Winter 2017