Applications are invited for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level in Elementary Mathematics Education to begin Fall 2019.
Application review begins November 15, 2018. The position is open until filled.
The successful candidate is expected to be an excellent teacher committed to undergraduate instruction and curriculum development in Elementary Mathematics Education, both content and methods. Teaching assignments may include some core mathematics courses, depending on the candidate’s interests. The current standard teaching load is two courses (about 9 classroom hours per week) per quarter. Scholarly and programmatic collaboration with colleagues, development of a strong refereed publication record, leadership in math education and curriculum development, departmental service, and the establishment of grant-funded projects are expected.
- Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree in mathematics education or a related field by June 2020
- Substantial teaching experience in mathematics at the elementary level
- Evidence of active scholarship, including involvement with scholarly activity in mathematics education
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse colleague and student population
- Experience with professional development activities and outreach in K-12 education
- Evidence of effective teaching in mathematics education at the college level
- Experience working with pre-service or in-service teachers
- Active involvement with current developments in mathematics education
Application Instructions and Requested Documents
Please submit your application via WWU’s Electronic Application System for Employment (PageUp). Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
Candidates must submit a cover letter, vita, transcripts, a description of teaching accomplishments and philosophy, including a short statement on how the applicant’s experiences (academic or non-academic) have prepared them to effectively teach an increasingly diverse student body, and a statement of scholarly interests. Upload your materials as required by the Page Up application system. Three confidential letters of recommendation addressing both teaching and research are required and requests will be automatically sent to your references from our PageUp system.
For additional information please contact:Mathematics Education Search
Department of Mathematics
Western Washington University
516 High Street, Bellingham WA 98225-9063
U.S.A. Tel.: (360) 650-3785
Fax: (360) 650-7788