The Department of Mathematics at Western Washington University invites applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level in areas complementing departmental strengths in pure and applied mathematics. We seek an energetic scholar who is passionate about undergraduate math education, and mentoring and stimulating undergraduates, for example by offering them opportunities for involvement in capstone projects and undergraduate research experiences. Scholarly contributions to fields of rapidly growing interest such as areas broadly related to data science and probability are particularly welcome, but the specific area of scholarship is less important than a sustained commitment to supporting a student-centered program and instructional developments and activities.
Application review begins January 5, 2019. The position is open until filled.
The successful candidate is expected to be an outstanding teacher who actively engages students in mathematical discovery and contributes to their intellectual and professional development in many respects. Mentoring of high potential students, and facilitating activities such as undergraduate research experiences, is expected, as is significant involvement in associated program and instructional developments and activities. A strong refereed publication record is required, and the establishment of grant-funded projects is highly encouraged.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in mathematics by June 2020
- A record of outstanding undergraduate teaching in mathematics at the level of calculus and above
- Evidence of sustained productive scholarship in the general area of pure and/or applied mathematics
- Evidence of substantial involvement in undergraduate mentoring, broadly defined
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with a very diverse faculty and student population
- Substantial experience of involving undergraduates in projects and extra-curricular activities involving mathematics
- Evidence of significant involvement in curriculum and program development in mathematics
- Expertise in the teaching and learning of mathematics
- Sustained scholarship in an area related to data science or probability
Application Instructions and Requested Documents
Please submit your application via WWU’s Electronic Application System for Employment (PageUp). Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
Candidates must submit a vita, transcripts, a description of teaching accomplishments and philosophy, including a short statement on how the applicant’s experiences (academic or non-academic) have prepared them to effectively teach an increasingly diverse student body, and a statement of scholarly interests. Upload your materials as required by the PageUp application system. Three confidential letters of recommendation addressing both teaching and research are required and requests will be automatically sent to your references from our PageUp system.
For additional information please contact:Math Search
Department of Mathematics
Western Washington University
516 High Street, Bellingham WA 98225-9063
U.S.A. Tel.: (360) 650-3785
Fax: (360) 650-7788