Major Admissions: Sophomore Review Requirements have changed!
The Sophomore Review is held once a year during finals week of winter quarter and is a process of reviewing student work and identifying those that are the most ready to go on into junior year. To qualify for this review a student must complete a set of pre-major courses (see below).
A maximum of 12 students are accepted yearly into the junior program and we reserve the right to select less than 12. Typically, 18 to 28 students apply each year for the review.
Portfolio requirements for WWU 's ID program:
- Cover page with name, home address, GPA, and photo on the lower right hand side.
- One page design statement. This statement may explain why student desires to pursue Industrial Design as a career, their goals, intentions, design philosophy, etc.
- A résumé with work history and past university or college experience and high school.
- A portfolio consisting of no more than (7) pieces of the student's best work. Work should represent the student's capabilities and skills in industrial design as well as art, engineering, CAD, other computer skills, photography, and any other related field. Original work is preferred unless the project is too large to bring in; then photographs or graphic reproductions will suffice. Each student must show examples of the following:
- Perspective booklet completed in ID310
- Hand rendering/sketching examples that show creativity
- At least one Sophomore ID project
- Evidence of computer skills (preferably part of an original project)
- Sketchbook(s) that demonstrate the students thought process, sketching abilities, and creativity.
Two weeks prior to the review, hand the following things in to the Engineering & Design office (ET204):
- Academic transcript(s) that show all classes taken from all universities with grades listed.
- A list of classes yet to be taken in the junior and senior year and a schedule of when they are to be taken. Must have 90 credits or less remaining to graduate and a written plan to complete the classes. A promise to attend summer school during the following summer does NOT count toward the 90 credits.
- The following courses must be completed with C- or better grade by the end of winter quarter: Requirements have changed!
- ID 110 or ART 110 or DSGN 220
- ID 120
- ID 210
- ID 220
- ID 310
- Art 109
- MATH 115 or MATH 118
- PHYS 114
- ENGR 104
For those who are accepted as ID majors, it is important that the following courses are completed by the end of the Spring quarter: ID 230, ID 130, PHYS 115 and ID 320. These are prerequisites for Junior level courses.