What is the BEES Program?
The BEES Program at WWU responds to the challenges in recruiting and retaining academically-talented, low-income students from diverse backgrounds into the three undergraduate engineering programs at Western (Electrical Engineering, Plastics and Composites Engineering, and Manufacturing Engineering). The BEES Program aims to provide a systematic sequence of academic, social, and career support services specifically designed to enhance the success of engineering students during the first two years of their undergraduate study. This program is supported by the National Science Foundation to provide scholarships for students who qualify.
What are the benefits of the program?
- Financial support for the first two years of pre-engineering
- Active advising with faculty from the engineering program and industrial partners
- Peer mentoring from other scholars and engineering professionals at local industries
- A week-long introductory program before the start of the first year
- First-year seminar classes that add to your major requirements
- Early exposure to engineering problems and creative solutions through engaged engineering projects with the local community
- Nourishing the sense of community through cohorts
- Social gatherings and activities
Why should I apply?
In addition to providing up to $10,000 each year for your first two years of engineering study, the BEES Program offers a great opportunity to boost your pre-engineering knowledge and be prepared to apply for any of the three engineering majors at Western while interacting with some amazing peers, faculty, mentors, and professionals from industry.
- Must be starting your studies at WWU in Fall 2020 and interested in pursuing an engineering major.
- Must have a high school GPA of 3.0+ or 2.7+ with demonstrated leadership.
- Must have successfully completed a high school or community college pre-calculus course.
- Must have financial need determined by FAFSA.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, national, or refugee.
How do I apply?
Please check back February 1, 2020 when the next application period opens. Applications will be due in March 2020, and scholars will be selected in April 2020.
Who can I contact for more information?
Dr. Andy Klein, Electrical Engineering
Dr. Sura Al-Qudah, Manufacturing Engineering