Educational & Professional Experience
Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, August 2016.
- Power System Reliability
- Fault Detection
- Event Detection
- Real-time Power System Health Monitoring
- Renewable Energy Integration
Xichen Jiang was born in Shanghai, China, and immigrated to the United States along with his family when he was three years old. His family then relocated to Illinois when he was 10 and has stayed there ever since. Being an Illinois native, Xichen Jiang received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degree all in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. While a student there, Xichen has interned with Coilcraft, Proctor and Gamble, Exxon Mobil, and Viasat.
His research interests include power system reliability and cyber-physical systems. In particular, his research applies statistical and set-theoretic methods to detect and mitigate attacks or faults on the power system network. Recently, his research involves characterizing uncertainty that results from the growing number of renewable resources penetrating into the existing power grid.
- [J8] Q. Chen, M. Xia, T. Lu, X. Jiang, and W. Liu, "Short-Term Load Forecasting Based on Deep Learning for End-User Transformer with Large Volatile Electric Heating Loads," IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 162697-162707, 2019.
- [J7] G. Wang, H. Xin, D. Wu, P. Ju, and X. Jiang, "Data-Driven Arbitrary Polynomial Chaos-Based Probabilistic Load Flow Considering Correlated Uncertainties," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 3274-3276, July 2019.
- [J6] Y. Liu, Y. Li, H. Gooi, Y. Jian, H. Xin, X. Jiang, and J. Pan, "Distributed Robust Energy Management of Multi-Microgrid System in the Real-Time Energy Market," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 396-406, Jan. 2019.
- [J5] P. Li, Y. Liu, H. Xin, and X. Jiang, "A Robust Distributed Economic Dispatch Strategy of Virtual Power Plant Under Cyber-Attacks," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 4343-4352, Oct. 2018.
- [J4] G. Rovatsos, X. Jiang, A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, and V. V. Veeravalli, "Statistical Power System Line Outage Detection Under Transient Dynamics", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 2787-2797, June. 2017.
- [J3] X. Jiang, J. Zhang, B. Harding, J. Makela, and A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "Spoofing GPS Receiver Clock off set of Phasor Measurement Units," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 3253-3262, Aug. 2013.
- [J2] X. Jiang, Y. C. Chen, and A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "A Set-Theoretic Framework to Assess the Impact of Variable Generation on the Power Flow", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 855-867, May 2013.
- [J1] E. Hope, X. Jiang, and A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "Reachability-Based Method for Large-Signal Behavior Verification of DC-DC Converters", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 2944-2955, Dec. 2011.
- [C11] A. Radwan, Y. Mohamed, and X. Jiang, "A Hybrid Wind-Photovoltaic Generation System: Modeling and Performance Evaluation," in Proc. of International Conference on Smart Energy Grid Engineering, Oshawa, Canada, Aug. 2019.
- [C10] D. Saunders, T. Thornton, X. Jiang, and J. Davishahl, "Photovoltaic System Performance Under Partial Shading Conditions: An Undergraduate Research Experience," in Proc. of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Tampa, FL, June 2019.
- [C9] P. Shive and X. Jiang, "Electric Power Distribution System Reliability and Outage Costs," in Proc. of the American Society for Engineering Education PNW Section Conference, Corvallis, Oregon, Mar. 2019.
- [C8] A. Bolstad and X. Jiang, "Cost and Benefits of Volt-VAR Optimization on Electric Power Distribution Systems," in Proc. of the American Society for Engineering Education PNW Section Conference, Corvallis, Oregon, Mar. 2019.
- [C7] S. Guo, X. Jiang, T. Thornton, and D. Saunders, "Approximate String Matching of Power System Substation Names," in Proc. of Power and Energy Conference at Illinois, Champaign, IL, Mar. 2019.
- [C6] T. Christman, N. Uhrich, P. Swisher, and X. Jiang, "A Statistical Framework for Real-time Event Detection in Power Systems with Transient Dynamics," in Proc. of Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems, Boise, ID, June 2018.
- [C5] J. Davishahl, X. Jiang, S. Dever, and T. Christman, "A Cross-Institution Collaboration: Analysis of Power Electronic Technologies for Solar Panel Arrays," in the Proc. of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2018.
- [C4] X. Jiang, Y. Chen, V. V. Veeravalli, and A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "Quickest Line Outage Detection and Identification: Measurement Placement and System Partitioning," in Proc. of the North American Power Symposium, Morgantown, WV, Sept. 2017.
- [C3] G. Rovatsos, X. Jiang, A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, and V. V. Veeravalli, "Comparison of Statistical Algorithms for Power System Line Outage Detection", in Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Shanghai, China, May 2016.
- [C2] X. Jiang and A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "A Zonotope-Based Method for Uncertainty Analysis in Power Systems with Renewable Generation", in Proc. of the North American Power Symposium, Pullman, WA, Sept. 2014.
- [C1] Y. C. Chen, X. Jiang, and A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "Impact of Power Generation Uncertainty on Power System Static Performance", in Proc. of North American Power Symposium, Boston, MA, Aug. 2011.