Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
2021 - 22 Members
Lynn Pillitteri, Biology
Mike Larsen, Chemistry/ AMSEC
Moushumi Sharmin, Computer Science
TBA, Engineering & Design
Mai Sas, Geology
Edoh Amiran, Math
Thanh Le, Physics/ SMATE
Jill Davishahl, Engineering and Design
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee works to promote, and advocates for, equity, inclusion, and diversity in the College of Science and Engineering. The committee reports to PPBC and advises the Dean.
- Identifies and examines policies and procedures within CSE that inhibit diversity, equity, and inclusion related to all members of the University community.
- Coordinates and collaborates with relevant groups both within and outside of CSE on developing issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The goal is to communicate and engage with other equity stake holders on campus.
- Supports, encourages, and informs department-level efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Support can be in the form of documentation or sharing of resources created by the DEI committee.
- Assessment and evaluation of the CSE strategic goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- The faculty of each department and program selects one faculty member, tenured or tenure track, for the committee. In addition, up to four at-large members will be recommended by the EID Chair for approval by PPBC. At-large positions may be filled by staff or tenured, tenure-track, or NTT faculty. NTT appointments are contingent on approval by the CSE Dean. Diverse representation, broadly defined, will be prioritized in the selection of at-large members. EID members shall not be departmental chairs or program directors.
- The term of service is two years, with approximately half of the membership selected each year. No member shall serve more than six consecutive years.
- A majority of voting members shall constitute a quorum for all business of the committee. The committee determines its own procedures and officers, typically designating a chair at the start of the academic year.
- Membership rules may be modified as needed.