Open Until: 2019-11-30
Caltech Job Listing
This is an ideal position for those individuals who would like to apply their information technology skills to administer and improve state-of-the-art high-availability LINUX based systems. The successful candidate will be part of a team administering Caltech’s real-time 24/7 earthquake data acquisition and processing hardware and software. Detailed tasking includes LINUX system level support and supervising hardware maintenance; maintenance and troubleshooting of data processing applications in C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, and other software; and maintenance of information distribution applications, including web posting, email, and instant messaging. The applicant will participate in development to implement new hardware and software, IP networking, improve data availability, and operational reliability and efficiency of the Southern California Seismic Network (SCSN) and ShakeAlert. The applicant will also be involved in system design, review for future acquisition architecture, and cloud based computing.
- Be part of a team administering the SCSN/CISN and ShakeAlert real-time data acquisition, processing, and analysis application software, and associated computer hardware and system software.
- Assist in the deployment, testing, and maintenance of new applications written in C++, Perl, Java, Python, or other languages under LINUX, or other operating systems. Write scripts and puppet manifests to automate real-time processing tasks, improve automated failover capabilities, and track system performance.
- Deploy and operate cloud computing and virtualization software and services, using VMware and AWS cloud.
- Participate in procurement, installation, and configuration of new hardware or software.
- Use Request Tracker (issue tracking system) for getting assignments and tracking progress. Maintain user documentation for the SCSN/CISN real-time systems. Prepare written reports, presentations, and assist in preparing proposals. Assist in supervising outside contractors, including writing design specifications for tasks.
- Must be able to share ‘On-call duties’, which may require occasional evening and weekend response time.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Physical Science is required for this position.
- 2+ years of experience in system administration, and maintaining application software in UNIX/LINUX environment for science or engineering.
- The qualified candidate should have an active interest in routine operations to ensure data integrity and availability, as well as innovation, and incorporating new efficiencies into the operation.
- Demonstrated skills in LINUX administration and advanced shell scripting experience in bash, tcsh, Python, and/or Perl.
- Must have abilities for troubleshooting, maintaining, and improving existing software or scripts, working with computer hardware, and IP communications.
- Experience with server monitoring (SNMP, NAGIOS, cacti, and custom scripts).
- Experience with use of kickstart and puppet for OS installation and configuration management.
- Proven ability to work in a team of staff with a wide range of expertise is necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills needed.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Physical Science is preferred.
- 4+ years of experience in system administration, and maintaining application software in UNIX/LINUX environment for science or engineering.
- Some familiarity with basic Cisco/Network administration, Cisco switches and routers, understanding of NAT/PNAT (both dynamic and static), and multicast and OSPF protocols.
- Some knowledge of MPLS, Telco T1, VSAT and cellular telemetry.
- Some experience with applications that interface with Oracle or MySQL.
- Some experience with software repository like SVN or GIT.
- Some experience with cloud computing such as AWS.
- Familiarity with one of the technology areas needed by SCSN/CISN, such as seismology, seismic instrumentation.