Whatcom Community College
Employer: Whatcom Community College
Title: FT Computer Information Systems (CIS) Faculty, Tenure Track
Whatcom Community College invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Computer Information Systems (CIS) instructor beginning Fall Quarter 2020 with the possibility of an earlier start, depending on availability. The College is seeking a dynamic individual interested in developing and engaging students through the use and implementation of innovative and inclusive curriculum and teaching methods, including the application of technology, both inside and outside the classroom. The College seeks faculty who can adapt to a variety of teaching situations and who have the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with students, colleagues, staff, and others in a campus climate that promotes cultural diversity and global understanding. College faculty teach an equivalent of 15 credits per quarter and participate in contributing to the college through committee service and program leadership and development.
This position will be expected to teach required courses that prepare students for the networking and security workforce or transfer; to collaborate with college faculty and administrators in contributing to the future vision and scope of Computer Information Systems programs at the college; to remain current in the field and adapt courses to meet changing cybersecurity, networking job skills and qualification requirements; to develop and maintain contacts and knowledge of companies and organizations in the community; to identify and contribute to activities that promote student development such as student clubs and/or other student volunteer activities; and perform other duties as assigned.
Being a faculty member at Whatcom offers the opportunity to engage in the advancement of equitable student outcomes and the elimination of equity gaps. Faculty have regular opportunities for on-campus professional development, collaboration with colleagues, and engagement in workshops and learning communities. These opportunities contribute to professional advancement at the College, as well as personal growth. This position supports all four of the College's four core themes – achieving success, building community, advancing equity, and enhancing effectiveness.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Teach introductory and advanced courses, including baccalaureate level courses.
- Collaborate with the Program Director in implementing the goals of the program.
- Evaluate and update curriculum and course offerings.
- Develop and monitor student learning outcomes.
- Participate in faculty development and governance activities, including periodic service as Technology Department chair.
- Mentor and assist adjunct faculty.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer related field or equivalent training and experience or a combination of education and experience.
- Current industry certifications (e.g. A+, Network+, Security+, etc.)
- Master's degree in a Cyber Security or a related discipline.
- Cisco CCNA or above certification or ability to complete within one year of hiring.
- Cisco CCAI or ability to complete within one year of hiring.
- Demonstrable record of keeping current in the CIS field.
- Teaching or training experience, preferably in a technical or community college.
- Ability to teach lab based classes.
- Ability to create lab materials, configure computer images for lab activities, and provide assistance to students in a lab environment.
- Willingness to participate in program initiatives.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated content knowledge in the program or discipline.
- A commitment to student centered, inclusive pedagogy.
- A commitment to WCC's vision as "an innovative college, engaged with our diverse and changing communities".
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication abilities with students and colleagues.
Salary and Appointment:
- Current Bachelor's degree salary begins at $51,163 and Master's degree salary begins at $55,163 (additional degrees and experience increase rate); 174 day annual contract.
- The position comes with a full benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
*Additionally, as a Washington State, public higher education institution, WCC offers the following:
- Whatcom Community College is a qualified employer for the PSLF program. If you work for the College full time, have had Direct Loans and are on an eligible repayment plan, you are eligible to apply.
- Full-time employees are eligible to apply and participate in the Whatcom Community College Employee Tuition Program, which provides a tuition waiver for available and eligible WCC courses.
- Fall Quarter, 2020 with the possibility of an earlier start, depending on availability.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Friday, January 10th, 2020 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
To apply please visit us at:
Jun 01, 2020
237 W. Kellogg Road Bellingham, Washington 98226 United States
Human Resources office