Professor of Organic Chemistry
Educational & Professional Experience
- B.S. University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1991.
- Ph.D. University of Minnesota, 1995.
- Camille & Henry Dreyfus Postdoctoral Fellow, Hope College, 1995-1997.
Selected Awards & Honors
- Arlan Norman Award for Student Mentoring, 2018
- Paul J. Olscamp Research Award, 2011.
- Peter J. Elich Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008.
- Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar, 2003.
- Research Corporation Cottrell Scholar
- National Science Foundation, Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2001-2006.
My research interests are in the broad field of synthetic chemistry. Projects in my group range from the total synthesis of natural products possessing unusual structural features and biological properties to developing new synthetic methods. Ring formation by intramolecular epoxide opening has been a theme in our work for many years. Our work often requires detailed analysis of NMR spectra to characterize new compounds and assign relative stereochemistry.
31. Vyvyan, J. R.; #Engles, C. A.; *Bray, S. L.; *Wold, E. D.; *Porter, C. L.; *Konev, M. O. “Synthesis of trisubstituted Z-styrenes by Hiyama-type coupling of oxasilacycloalkenes: Application to the synthesis of a 1-benzoxocane,” Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2017, 13, 2122-2127.
30. #Shelton, P.; #Ligon, T. J.; #Dell, J. M.; *Yarbrough, L.; Vyvyan, J. R. “Synthesis of cananodine by intramolecular epoxide opening,” Tetrahedron Lett. 2017, 58, 3478-3481. DOI: 10.1016/j.tetlet.2017.07.080.
29. Vyvyan, J. R.; #Longworth (née Dimmitt), H. E.; *Nguyen, S. “Synthesis of (±)-centrolobine using a gold-catalyzed cycloetherification,” Synlett, 2016, 2221-2224. Featured in Organic Chemistry Highlights edited by Douglass F. Taber, January 8, 2018: http://www.organic-chemistry.org/Highlights/2018/08January.shtm