***ATTENTION!! CHEM 121/122/123 will become CHEM 161/162/163 beginning Fall 2018!!***
- This will not effect any courses already completed at WWU.
- If you have completed any portion of General Chemistry as CHEM 121 or CHEM 122, you will be able to continue in CHEM 162 or CHEM 163.
- If you have satisfied the prerequisites to enroll in CHEM 121, you will still be able to register for CHEM 161.
- This will not effect your prerequisites for future courses at WWU.
- If you have satisfied your course prerequisite with CHEM 121, CHEM 122 or CHEM 123 and the course now requires CHEM 161, CHEM 162 or CHEM 163; you have still satisfied your course prerequisite.
- This does not change current or previous equivalencies within WA state.
- CHEM&121 at WA state community colleges is still not equivalent to CHEM 121 at WWU.
- CHEM&121 at WA state community colleges is not equivalent to CHEM 161 at WWU.
Need to meet with the Departmental Advisor/Program Coordinator?
Click Here → Schedule an appointment with Stacey!
All chemistry and biochemistry majors are assigned and required to meet with a faculty advisor. The faculty advisor assists students with developing a personalized plan of study to meet their particular needs, career, and educational goals. Their advisor serves as their primary academic contact point within the Department. Students will not be officially declared until they meet with their faculty advisor and submit their plan of study.
To officially be assigned a chemistry faculty advisor, students should make an appointment with the program coordinator for advising and fill out forms declaring either a chemistry or biochemistry major.
Requests to declare a major in the Chemistry Department are not processed during registration times. Declarations and assignment of faculty advisors takes place during intercessions only. Declaring a major/minor in the Chemistry Department will not solve your registration issues, please plan ahead.
Chemistry Office Staff can also help answer any questions you may have. We also offer pre-healthcare professions advising, via the Pre-Professional Pathways program, for students interested in pursuing a career in medicine.
Majors in the Chemistry Department often pair their degree program with a minor in Advanced Materials Science. For recommended course sequencing with programs in the Chemistry Department, review the following document and meet with your faculty advisor to develop a plan for completion. *ASMEC Minor Recommended Schedule for Chemistry Department Majors*
Some other common minors paired with Chemistry Department majors are:
- Anthropology Minor
- Biology Minor (Chemistry Majors only - exceeds overlap allowance for Biochemistry Majors)
- Computer Science Minor
- Computer Systems Minor
- Education and Social Justice Minor
- Mathematics Minor
- Math-Secondary Education Minor
- Physics Minor
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) Minor
Advising Documents For Chemistry & Biochemistry Majors
- Application to Phase II of the BS/BA-Chemistry and BS-Biochemistry Majors (processed only once yearly, due the first day of spring quarter)
- Phase II Application - Writing Prompts (You may want to type your responses to these prompts ahead of time, to paste into your webform application.)
- Common Transfer Issues
- Declaration Process
- Departmental Policies
- Recommended BA-Chemistry Course Schedule
- BA-Chemistry Phase I - Phase II Information
- BA-Chemistry - Draft Your Plan of Study
- BA-Chemistry - Plan of Study Worksheet
- BA-Chemistry Scheduling Notes
- Recommended BS-Chemistry Course Schedule
- BS-Chemistry Phase I - Phase II Information
- BS-Chemistry - Draft Your Plan of Study
- BS-Chemistry - Plan of Study Worksheet
- BS-Chemistry Scheduling Notes
- Advanced Electives for BS-Chemistry Majors
- Recommended BS-Biochemistry Course Schedule
- BS-Biochemistry Phase I - Phase II Information
- BS-Biochemistry - Draft Your Plan of Study
- BS-Biochemistry - Plan of Study Worksheet
- BS-Biochemistry Scheduling Notes
- Advanced Electives for BS-Biochemistry Majors
Advising Documents for BAE Chemistry + Secondary Majors:
- Recommended Schedule for BAE-Chemistry, Secondary
- BAE-Chemistry, Secondary - Draft Your Plan of Study
- BAE-Chemistry, Secondary - Plan of Study Worksheet
- Recommended Schedule for BAE-Chemistry/Biology, Secondary
- BAE-Chemistry/Biology, Secondary - Draft Your Plan of Study
- BAE-Chemistry/Biology, Secondary - Plan of Study Worksheet
- Recommended Schedule for BAE-Chemistry/Mathematics, Secondary
- BAE-Chemistry/Mathematics, Secondary - Draft Your Plan of Study
- BAE-Chemistry/Mathematics, Secondary - Plan of Study Worksheet