Professor of Organic Chemistry
Educational & Professional Experience
- Visiting Scientist, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 2014-2015.
- Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow, Max-Planck Institut für Kohlenforschung, 2006-2008.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Colorado, 2006.
- B.S. Chemistry, Boston College, 2002.
Selected Awards & Honors
Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2014
National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2012
National Institutes of Health Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA), 2012
Project Development Award, WWU Research and Sponsored Programs, 2011
ACS Organic Chemistry Division, Faculty Travel Award, 2009
Petroleum Research Fund Undergraduate New Investigator Award, 2009
Research Corporation, Cottrell College Science Award, 2008
Our group specializes in the enantioselective synthesis of biologically and environmentally compelling natural products that includes both methods development and target-oriented synthesis projects. More recently this work has also led us to become involved in certain algal biofuel-related research.
- McIntosh, K.; Smith, A.; Young, L. K.; Leitch, M. A.; Tiwari, A. K.; Reddy, C. M.; O'Neil, G. W.; Liberatore, M. W.; Chandler, M.; Baki, G. "Alkenones as a Promising Green Alternative for Waxes in Cosmetics and Personal Care Products" Cosmetics 2018, 5, 34
- Aeppli, C.; Swarthout, R. F.; O'Neil, G. W.; Datz, S. D.; Nabi, D.; Ward, C. P.; Nelson, R. K.; Sharpless, C. M.; Reddy, C. M. "How persistent and bioavailable are oxygenated Deepwater Horizon oil transformation products?" Environ. Sci. Technol. 2018, 52, 7250.7258.
- Stockdale, T. F.; O'Neil, G. W. "Regio- and Diastereoselective Samarium-Mediated Allylic Benzoate Reductions" Synlett 2017, 28, 2267-2271.
- O'Neil, G. W., Craig, A. M., Williams, J. R.; Young, J. C.; Spiegel, P. C. "Synthesis of the C1-C23 Fragment of the Archazolids and Evidence for V-ATPase but not COX Inhibitory Activity" Synlett 2017, 28, 1101-1105. (highlighted in Synform)