Associate Professor of Organic Chemistry
Educational & Professional Experience
- Visiting Scientist, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 2014-2015.
- Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow, Max-Planck Institut für Kohlenforschung, 2006-2008.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Colorado, 2006.
- B.S. Chemistry, Boston College, 2002.
Selected Awards & Honors
Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2014
National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2012
National Institutes of Health Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA), 2012
Project Development Award, WWU Research and Sponsored Programs, 2011
ACS Organic Chemistry Division, Faculty Travel Award, 2009
Petroleum Research Fund Undergraduate New Investigator Award, 2009
Research Corporation, Cottrell College Science Award, 2008
Our group specializes in the enantioselective synthesis of biologically and environmentally compelling natural products that includes both methods development and target-oriented synthesis projects. More recently this work has also led us to become involved in certain algal biofuel-related research.
- O’Leary, D. J.; O’Neil, G. W. “Cross Metathesis” in Handbook of Metathesis, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Applications in Organic Synthesis (Ed. R. H. Grubbs, D. J. O’Leary) Wiley-VCH: Weinheim, Germany 2015.
- O’Neil, G. W.; Reddy, C. R. “Jet Fuel from Algae?,” Oceanus Magazine, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA 2015. (http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/feature/jet-fuel-from-algae)
- O’Neil, G. W.; Culler, A. R.*; Williams, J. R.*; Burlow, N. P.*; Gilbert, G. J.*; Carmichael, C. A.; Nelson, R. K.; Swarthout, R. F.; Reddy, C. M. “Production of Jet Fuel Range Hydrocarbons as a Coproduct of Algal Biodiesel by Butenolysis of Long-Chain Alkenones” Energy Fuels 2015, 29, 922-930.
- King, B. R.; Swick, S. M.*; Schaefer, S. L.*; Welch, J. R.*; Hunter, E. F.*; O’Neil, G. W. “Exploring a Ring-Closing Metathesis Approach to the Archazolid Macrocycle”, Synthesis 2014, 46, 2927-2936.