Educational & Professional Experience
- B.S. Plastics Engineering Technology and B.A. Chemistry, Western Washington University, 2001.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, 2006.
- NIH Teaching Education and Critical Research Skills Postdoctoral Fellow, Tufts University, 2006-2007.
- NIH Ruth Kirschstein Postdoctoral Fellow, Tufts University, 2007-2009.
Currently, Murphy group efforts are focused on two main areas:
1) Development of new methods to chemically-modify silk-based materials for applications such as targeted drug delivery or tumor imaging.
2) Design and synthesis of conducting polymers and conducting polymer - biopolymer composites for use as artificial muscles, implantable electrodes and drug delivery vehicles.
*WWU undergraduate co-authors, #WWU M.S. co-author, ‡NSF-REU undergraduate co-authors
*Patamia, E.D.; #Ostrovsky-Snider,N.A.; Murphy, A.R. “Photolithographic Masking Method to Chemically Pattern Silk Film Surfaces,” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2019, 11(37), 33612-33619.
*James, E.I.; ‡Jenkins, L.D.; Murphy, A.R. “Peptide-Thiophene Hybrids as Self-Assembling Conductive Hydrogels,” Macromol. Mater. Eng., 2019, 304, 1900285.
*Hagler, J.R.; *Peterson, B.; Murphy, A.R.; Leger, J.M. “Performance of biocompatible silk-polypyrrole actuators under biologically relevant conditions.” J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 2018, 135, 46922.
Tsui, J.H.; #Ostrovsky-Snider, N.A.; Yama, D.M.P.; *Donohue, J.D.; Choi, J.S.; Chavanachat, R.; *Larson, J.D.; Murphy, A.R.; Kim, D.H. “Conductive Silk-Polypyrrole Composite Scaffolds with Bioinspired Nanotopographic Cues for Cardiac Tissue Engineering” J. Mater. Chem. B, 2018, 6, 7185-7196 (cover article).
#Severt, S.Y.; *Maxwell, S.; *Bontrager, J.; Leger, J.M.; Murphy, A.R. “Mimicking muscle fiber structure and function through electromechanical actuation of electrospun silk fiber bundles,” J. Mater. Chem. B, 2017, 5, 8105 - 8114.
*Blatz, T.J.; *‡Fry, M.M.; *James, E.I.; *Albin, T.J.; *Pollard, Z.; Kowalczyk, T.; Murphy, A.R. “Templating the 3D structure of conducting polymers with self-assembling peptides,” J. Mater. Chem. B, 2017, 5, 4690-4696.
*Fengel, C.V.; *Bradshaw, N.P.; #Severt, S.Y.; Murphy, A.R.; Leger, J.M. “Biocompatible Silk-Conducting Polymer Composite Trilayer Actuators,” Smart Mater. Struct., 2017, 26 (5), 055004.