Minor Advising

Need to meet with the Departmental Advisor/Program Coordinator?

Click Here → Schedule an appointment with Stacey!

Requests to declare a minor in the Chemistry Department are not processed during registration times.  Declarations take place during intercessions only.  Declaring a minor in the Chemistry Department will not solve your registration issues, please plan ahead.


While this page is focused on advising for Minors in Chemistry, here is a list of common minor pairings for students pursuing degree programs in the Chemsitry Department:

  • AMSEC Minor
  • Biology Minor (Chemistry Majors only)
  • Mathematics Minor
  • Physics Minor
  • Education and Social Justice Minor
  • Anthropology Minor

Chemistry Minor Advising

For students declared prior to Fall 2015:

Minors declared prior to Fall 2015 will complete one of three Chemistry Minor Tracks as outlined below.  

Each track includes the General Chemistry Series (CHEM 121-123)  ~or~   the Honors Chemistry Series (CHEM 125, 126 & 225):

  • Track A - Physical Chemistry
    • CHEM 461-463 - Physical Chemistry I-III
    • CHEM 333 - Analytical Chemistry 
  • Track B - Organic Chemistry
    • CHEM 351-353 - Organic Chemistry I-III
    • CHEM 354 - Organic Chemistry Lab I
    • CHEM 333 - Analytical Chemistry
  • Track C - Biochemistry
    • CHEM 351-353 - Organic Chemistry I-III
    • CHEM 354 - Organic Chemistry Lab I
    • CHEM 375 - Elements of Biochemistry  ~or~  CHEM 471 - Biochemistry I


For students declared/declaring Fall 2015 and later:

Minors declared/declaring Fall 2015 and later are subject to the new model, outlined below.

❑ Choose one of the following series:

  •     CHEM 121 - General Chemistry I
  •     CHEM 122 - General Chemistry II
  •     CHEM 123 - General Chemistry III

~ Or ~

  •     CHEM 125 - General Chemistry I, Honors
  •     CHEM 126 - General Chemistry II, Honors
  •     CHEM 225 - General Chemistry III, Honors


❑ 15 credits of upper-division chemistry courses

  •     Up to 6 upper-division credits may overlap and be applied to both the chemistry minor and the student's major degree requirements.

    • Course credits may not be split to equal 6.  Meaning, you may not apply CHEM 351 (4 credits) and 2 credits from CHEM 352 (which is a 4 credit course) to equal 6 credits, in the interest of avoiding overlap, additional course work, etc.

For more information on University Graduation Requirements as they pertain to Majors, Minors and how overlap is allowed, please see the catalog edition for the year you declared.