What is Green Chemistry?
Green chemistry is an approach, like green architecture, that is focused on developing sustainable chemical practices and methods that reduce or eliminate the use and generation of hazardous substances. Developing new methods that reduce wastes and hazards from the outset is the primary focus of green chemistry.
The Chemistry Department at Western Washington University continues to implement green chemistry principles throughout its curriculum. In addition, the Chemistry Club is initiating a local green chemistry education campaign. The club strives to promote green chemistry practices at all of its events and club members are available to visit local schools to discuss green chemistry with teachers and students.
Please contact a Chem Club Officer or Advisor to arrange a visit to your school.
Green Chemistry Links
- Teaching Green Chemistry Modules (University of Scranton)
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Green Chemistry Institute
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Green Chemistry
- Green Chemistry Definition from Wikipedia
- Green Chemistry (Journal from RSC)