Professor & Director, Advanced Materials Science and Engineering Center
Educational & Professional Experience
- B.S. Chemistry, University of California at Davis, 1990.
- Ph.D. University of Utah, 1995.
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Cambridge University, 1995 - 1996.
- Assistant Professor, 1996 - 2001.
- Associate Professor, 2001 - 2005.
- Professor, 2005 - present.
- Director, Advanced Mater. Sci. & Engin. Center, 2007 - 2010.
- Visiting Fellow, Oxford University, 2002 - 2003.
- Visiting Fellow, Cambridge University, 2010 - 2011.
- Snohomish PUD Professor of Energy Studies, 2015.
Selected Awards & Honors
- Arlan Norman Excellence in Student Mentoring Award, 2015
- Snohomish PUD Professor of Energy Studies, 2015
- WWU Simpson Bridging Award, 2010.
- WWU Olscamp Research Award, 2005.
- Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2001.
- U.S. Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), 2000.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2000.
- Cottrell Scholar, 1996.
- Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Start-up Grant, 1996.
- University of Utah Cheves T. Walling Graduate Research Award, 1995.
- Union Carbide Corp. Kenan Analytical Chemistry Award, 1993.
Patrick specializes in surface and materials chemistry, and ordered molecular systems. His research includes programs in solar concentration and energy conversion, crystallization and growth mechanisms in organic molecular films, and liquid crystal solvents. Patrick’s educational activities center on the involvement of undergraduates in research and teaching in the areas of analytical and materials chemistry, and energy science.
"Analysis of Optical Losses in High-Efficiency CuInS2-Based Nanocrystal Luminescent Solar Concentrators: Balancing Absorption versus Scattering”, Ryan Sumner, Steven Eiselt, Troy B. Kilburn, Christian Erickson, Brian Carlson, Daniel R. Gamelin, Stephen McDowall, David L. Patrick, J. Phys. Chem. C., 2017, 121, 3252-3260.
"High Performance Organic Field-Effect Transistors using Ambient Deposition of Tetracene Single Crystals”, Logan Morrison, Dane Stanfield, Michael Jenkins, Aleksandr Baronov, D. L. Patrick, Janell Leger, Org. Electr. 2016, 33, 269.
"A Simple Model of Burst Nucleation”, Aleksandr Baronov, Kevin Bufkin, Daniel W. Shaw, Brad. L. Johnson, D. L. Patrick, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2015, 17, 20846-20852.
"Zero-Reabsorption Doped-Nanocrystal Luminescent Solar Concentrators”, Christian S. Erickson, Liam R. Bradshaw, Stephen McDowall, John D. Gilbertson, Daniel R. Gamelin, David L. Patrick, ACS Nano 2014, 8, 3461.
"Structurally Engineered Perylene Dyes for High Efficiency Luminescent Solar Concentrators”, W. E. Benjamin, M. J. Perkins, D. R. Veit, E. Bain, K. Scharnhorst, S. McDowall, D. L. Patrick, and John D. Gilbertson, Chem. Mater. 2014. 26, 1291.