Professor of Physical & Materials Chemistry
Educational & Professional Experience
- B.A. Reed College, 1983
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1988
- NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellow, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Chimie de Paris, 1988-89
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Washington, 1990
- Guest Professor, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH-Zurich), 1997-1998
- Visiting Professor, Tufts University (Dept. of Chemical Engineering), March-June 2005
- Visiting Professor, University of British Columbia (Dept. of Chemical Engineering), January-June 2012
- Professor of Chemistry
- Director, Advanced Materials Science and Engineering Center
Selected Awards & Honors
- NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1988
- Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 1995
- Paul J. Olscamp Outstanding Research Award, 2000
- Camille & Henry Dreyfus Scholar/Fellow Award, 2001
- Editorial Board, Catalysis Letters, 2004-09
- Editorial Board, Topics in Catalysis, 2005-09
- Science Advisory Committee, Research Corporation for Science Advancement, 2005-2011
- Advisory Board, ACS Petroleum Research Fund, 2012-present
- Cottrell Scholar (1994 PUI Class), Research Corporation for Science Advancement, 2015
My research interests are in the areas of surface and materials chemistry, with an emphasis on the development of new heterogeneous catalysts for the production of clean fuels. Current projects are focused on hydrotreating catalysis: the hydrodesulfurization (HDS) adn hydrodenitrogenation (HDN) processes for production of ultra-low sulfur fuels, and the hydrodeoxygenation (HDO) process for upgrading bio-oils to biofuels. Catalyst systems currently under investigation include oxide-supported metal phosphides.
- Gaudette, A. F.; Burns, A. W.; Hayes, J. R.; Smith, M. C.; Bowker, R. H.; Seda, T.; Bussell, M. E. " Mössbauer Spectroscopy and Hydrodesulfurization Properties of Iron-Nickel Phosphide Catalysts,” Journal of Catalysis 2010, 272, 18-27.
- Hayes, J. R.; Bowker, R. H.; Gaudette, A. F.; Smith, M. C.; Moak, C. E.; Nam, C. Y.; Pratum, T. K.; Bussell, M. E. “Hydrodesulfurization Properties of Rhodium Phosphide: Comparison with Rhodium Metal and Sulfide Catalysts,” Journal of Catalysis 2010, 276, 249-258.
- Bowker, R. H.; Smith, M. C.; Pease, M. L.; Slenkamp, K. M.; Kovarik, L.; Bussell, M. E. “Synthesis and Hydrodeoxygenation Properties of Ruthenium Phosphide Catalysts,” ACS Catalysis 2011, 1, 917-922.
- Bowker, R. H.; Smith, M. C.; Carrillo, B. A.; Bussell, M. E. “Synthesis and Hydrodesulfurization Properties of Noble Metal Phosphides: Ruthenium and Palladium,” Topics in Catalysis 2012, 55, 999-1009.
- Prins, R; Bussell, M.E. “Metal Phosphides: Preparation, Characterization and Catalytic Reactivity,” Catalysis Letters 2012, 142, 1413-1436. (review article)
- Savithra, G. H. L.; Muthuswamy, E.; Bowker, R. H.; Carrillo, B. A.; Bussell, M. E.; Brock, S. L. "Rational Design of Nickel Phosphide Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts: Controlling Particle Size and Preventing Sintering," Chemistry of Materials 2013, 25, 825-833.
- Savithra, G. H. L.; Bowker, R. H.; Carrillo, B. A.; Bussell, M. E.; Brock, S. L. "Mesoporous Matrix Encapsulation for the Synthesis of Monodisperse Pd5P2 Nanoparticle Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2013, 5, 5403-5407.
- Bowker, R. H.; Carrillo, B. A.; Ilic, B.; Reynolds, M. A.; Bussell, M. E. “Carbazole Hydrodenitrogenation over Nickel Phosphide and Ni-rich Bimetallic Phosphide Catalysts,” Applied Catalysis A 2014, 482, 221-230.