Educational & Professional Experience
- B.A. in Molecular Cell Biology with an emphasis in Neurobiology from the University of California, Berkeley, 2001.
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience from the University of Michigan, 2011. Dissertation title: Targeting Protein Quality Control Pathways in Spinal Bulbar Muscular Atrophy.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Washington in the Promislow and Kaeberlein labs 2012-2017.
Research in my lab uses the fruit fly as a model organism to understand pathological mechanisms of neurodegenerative disease and how these might interact with molecular changes seen with age. Genetic studies from many model organisms have identified a number of pathways that modulate aging and lifespan across species, and we are interested in investigating how modifying these pathways influence the onset and progression of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and mitochondrial disease.
- Wang A.M., Mouser J., Pitt J., Promislow D., Kaeberlein M. Rapamycin enhances survival in a Drosophila model of mitochondrial disease. Oncotarget. 2016 May 10;7(19):27787-801. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.8497
- Bitto A, Wang AM, Bennett CF, Kaeberlein M. Biochemical Genetic Pathways that Modulate Aging in Multiple Species. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2015 Nov 2;5(11). pii: a025114. doi: 10.1101/cshperspect.a025114. Review. PubMed PMID: 26525455; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4632857
- Wang AM, Promislow DE, Kaeberlein M. Fertile waters for aging research. Cell. 2015 Feb 26;160(5):814-5. PMID:25723160.
- Burman JL, Itsara LS, Kayser EB, Suthammarak W, Wang AM, Kaeberlein M, Sedensky MM, Morgan PG, Pallanck LJ. A Drosophila model of mitochondrial disease caused by a complex I mutation that uncouples proton pumping from electron transfer. Dis Model Mech. 2014 Oct;7(10):1165-74. PMCID: PMC4174527.
- Wang AM, Lessons from Drosophila in Neurodegeneration: Mechanisms of Toxicity and Therapeutic Targets in Spinal and Bulbar Muscular Atrophy, In: Drosophila Melanogaster Models of Motor Neuron Disease, edited by R. Cauchi, Nova Science Publishers, 2013
- Wang AM, Miyata Y, Klinedinst S, Peng HM, Chua JC, Komiyama T, Merry DE, Pratt WB, Osawa Y, Collins CA, Gestwicki JE, Lieberman AP. Activation of Hsp70 reduces neurotoxicity by promoting polyglutamine protein degradation. Nat Chem Biol. 2013 Feb;9(2):112-8. PMCID: PMC3552084
- Featured as a Research Highlight in Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 12, 102 (February 2013)
- Yu Z, *Wang AM, Adachi H, Katsuno M, Sobue G, Yue Z, Robins DM, Lieberman AP. Macroautophagy is regulated by the UPR-mediator CHOP and accentuates the phenotype of SBMA mice. PLoS Genet 2011;7(10). PMCID: PMC3192827.
- *Wang AM, Morishima Y, Clapp KM, Peng HM, Pratt WB, Gestwicki JE, Lieberman AP. Inhibition of Hsp70 by methylene blue affects signaling protein function and ubiquitination and modulates polyglutamine protein degradation. J Biol Chem, 285:15714-15723, 2010. PMCID: PMC2871437.
- Yu Z, Wang A, Robbins DM, Lieberman AP. Altered RNA splicing contributes to skeletal muscle pathology in Kennedy disease knock-in mice. Dis Model Mech, 2:500-507, 2009. (Highlighted in “In This Issue”.) PMCID: PMC2737058
- Morishima Y, Wang AM, Yu Z, Pratt WB, Osawa Y, Lieberman AP. CHIP deletion reveals functional redundancy of E3 ligases in promoting degradation of both signaling proteins and expanded glutamine proteins. Hum Mol Genet, 17:3942-3952, 2008. PMCID: PMC2605787
- Bergman C.M., Pfeiffer B.D., Rincoln-Limas D.E., Hoskins R.A.,Gnirke A.,
Mungall C.J., Wang A.M., Kronmiller B., Pacleb J., Park S., Stapleton M., Wan K., George R.A., Jong P.J., Botas J., Rubin G.M., Celniker S.E.
(2002) Assessing the Impact of Comparative Genomic Sequence Data on the Functional Annotation of the Drosophila Genome. Genome Biol. 2002;3(12). PMCID: PM12537575
* denotes co-first authorship